Sunday, May 15, 2005

Who am I, Anyway?

I was talking to God about worship today at church. I have played several times with a group of people who, honestly, I've had some of the best times of worship of my life with. The thought went through my mind that really, the best thing about playing with Dan and the other guys is that we know how to just get out of God's way. But then I reconsidered. I don't want to say anymore that my job is to "get out of the way and let God use me". That belittles and diminshes what he has done in me. It discredits his creation of my life.

Paul wrote that "we have this treasure in earthen vessels to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." That is true. But that simply means that Christ is everything-not that I am nothing. I am a son, a servant, a warrior, a poet, a musician. Those things all come from him.

I have glory and power and dignity, but none of it is from my own effort. I am created in the image of God-how could be nothing? I have been redeemed, with all the things that entails-how could I take credit? I am who I am because of my Father, and being myself does not diminish his glory. It brings him glory.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Jesse, you're the bomb! That is so cool! It's so good to hear that coming from you. I'm so excited to see what God's doing in your life!!! Yay!! And you're engaged...Congratulations!!!!!